The information-packed session was hosted by alumnus Matthew Fleming (MBA ’13, MS ’16) and co-presented by Holli Riebel (BS’87), COO of the Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce and Lisa Hough, Manager of Strategic Initiatives at the Metro Denver Economic Development Corporation.
The webinar focused on the local industry landscape and job market and provided our community with a wealth of great insight on the Colorado job landscape and tips on building a career here.
What kind of market are Colorado job-seekers in for?
- The strongest growing industry job sector is Financial Services. Accounting pros are particularly in demand, sometimes getting hired within 24-48 hours with more than one offer.
- IT professionals have options. Not only are there not enough IT grads to fill open positions, but the range of skills are in demand across nearly every industry.
- Every industry is growing in Colorado. Oil and gas, tech, bioscience, finance, telecommunications – whatever the industry, Colorado’s got a diverse set of major players.
- Big companies want to move here. Denver has become a competitor for headquarters among cities like San Francisco and New York City, gaining lasting jobs and stability.
- We make rank. We’re consistently listed among the top places in the county for business, careers, education, quality of life and more.
5 steps to a thoughtful career path
- Leverage your resources. CU Denver Business School alumni have access to Advisors, the Alumni Network, Business Career Connections and more. Plus, the Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce and the Metro Denver Economic Development Corporation have data, job boards, and staff to help.
- Take advantage of your network. Leverage all of your contacts and learn what networking really means and how you can build value from it. Seek out true mentorship.
- Be prepared. Always have your resume and business cards, keep your LinkedIn profile updated, practice introducing yourself, and interview as much as you can.
- Be flexible. Build a variety of skills so that you can show diverse value in today’s ever-changing job market.
- Keep up to date. Stay aware of everything possible in your community and industry including job boards – even if you’re not looking.
The 45-minute webinar covered even more valuable in-depth advice. If you missed it, you can view the entire webinar online anytime.
More advice and resources coming up
The four-part Career Edge Webinar Series, hosted by the CU Denver Business School and CU Denver Alumni, offers valuable insight on local industry trends and professional development and is presented by our Alumni and local business experts. The sessions are completely free and online. Register today.
Thursday, January 18, 2018 | Resumes That Get Results
Friday, February 23, 2018 | Building Your Personal Digital Brand
Thursday, March 29, 2018 | Networking and Executive Interactions