The results are in and the announcements have gone out. The Global Association of Risk Professionals Partnership for Risk Education chose University of Colorado Denver Business School student Caroline Nguyen as one of five students awarded the Fall 2014 GARP Research Fellowship.

“It was unbelievable to me,” Nguyen said. “I never thought I could win, since I knew it was very competitive.”

This $3,000 fellowship will allow Nguyen, a Finance with Risk Management and Insurance (RMI) specialization graduate student, with the help and expertise of Assistant Professor Jeungbo Shim, Ph.D., to continue her research studying the effects of product diversification on tail risk in insurance companies. Nguyen started this project in June 2014.

“I believe the experience in original research offers students the opportunity to broaden their horizons beyond what they obtain in the classroom,” said Dr. Shim. “I am glad Caroline is highly motivated to complete this project. The empirical results can add to the literature and new information from this research may provide industry practitioners with some implications in planning insurance firms’ risk management strategy.”

The proposed timeline for Nguyen is strict. For another two months, Nguyen will complete her data collection and analysis. The three months following that she will concentrate on writing the paper portion of her project. Throughout the process, Nguyen will have several remote meetings with GARP personnel. She remains positive, “This has been a great experience for me!”

“This is an incredible honor for Jeungbo and Caroline,” remarked Dean Sueann Ambron.

To find out more about the Finance and Risk Management program, click here.

For more information about the RMI program, click here.

CU Denver

Business School

1475 Lawrence Street

Denver, CO 80202

303-315-8000

CU in the City logo
%d bloggers like this: